He just couldn’t stand to be left out

It has been a few weeks since I posted. I had an art show to prepare for, sometimes it is a one week process and sometimes two, this one was two. It was the Great Lakes Art Fair in Novi Michigan. My friend Theresa helped me and we were gone 3 1/2 days. It was a fun and successful show. I made lots of new contacts and I will definitely go back next year if they will have me.

Then my husband and I are on our 3rd cold of 2017 and it just zapps my creativity. I feel I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel though.
It also helps to have sunshine and warmth because that makes all the spring trees and flowers pop. I got out and walked around the house to see what there was. My creeping phlox is putting on a good show. This was a two year ago transplant from my neighbor. These are so pretty when they mound up in the landscaping.

When I saw the daffodils I had forgotten how pretty they were, these are like double daffys. It looks like it has a big nose hanging out the middle.

Loved the darker bits of orange in this one. Mmm…so so pretty.

We had the landscapers come and cut down the old, pull the weeds and lay the mulch. We just had a time with it last year. So glad we did it because what they did in 6 hours we would have taken days!! with sore backs. Here is a small bit in the front of the house and my johnny jump ups look so happy!

Here is my unusually colored coral bell.

A hot purple creeping phlox too.

My small and spindly Red Bud, but I am thankful for the blooms.

It hopes to be someday like the neighbors beautiful big Red Bud.

Oh Pavel, Pavel pounding on the glass door like I don’t see him.

He just hated to be left out of the fun. Hope you enjoyed my flowers, and as always…Thanks for stopping!



I want to talk a little bit about the banner I made for my art fair booth. This was so easy! It just a 10 X 10 inch square of fabric, fold it and sew up one side, turn it right side out while gently poking out the bottom point. It then gets pressed and sewn onto the rope or tape, whatever you choose. I had this video link on here recently but it doesn’t hurt to share it again. It is from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. It was screemin fun, as you will find out when watching the video.


Here it is attached to the front of the booth. I am curious what you think, does it add to the booth or does it take away from the showcase of the paintings? I have heard both points and I am just not sure. Leave a message for me if you have any feelings about it.


A 5 X 5 stretched canvas painting I finished recently. A Little Poppy. A print can be purchased in my Etsy shop. 


The depth is 1.5 inches so I like to add a little fun to it. This was done on all 4 sides. The background is a deep navy blue.


Pavel, sitting very close while I am working at the table. I liked the way he was sitting so perfect. He was so close that my picture turned out blurry.


The booth next to ours had two gals in it. The artist was Kerri Bash and her company is called magpie dreams. I am sorry that I didn’t get a picture of them but their clothes were cute and funky. Multicolored leggings, black pantaloons made from tulle. lace up boots, denim skirts. They were very sweet to talk with and very informative also. This is one of her paintings that she put on a notecard. It is called SlugKitties digesting. Cats and books, two of my favorite things.


Another that I picked up was “Raven likes Ice Cream”. Raven was one of the girls cats who had lots of personality. So much so there are drawings of her. I do hope that we are showing at another show at the same time. I was very lucky to get beside them. Till the next time….thanks for stopping.


Amaryllis Vandal


Just four days ago this is what the plant was looking like. Just about ready to show off. I was waiting with great anticipation!


I walked through the room and found it on the floor with the dirt spilled out. Picked it all up and put it back together. Situated it so it wouldn’t fall and the next day I found it on the floor again! This time the bud and the flower broke off.


So I resorted to putting it back up on the fireplace and propped it against the TV until I had time to attend to it. This was not the ideal place but I figured out that a furry someone was bothering this lady plant. If the company was going to sell amaryllis on the “juice” they needed to include larger pot.


This morning I went in search of a stick in the very cold garage and a pipe cleaner. Here is one of the flowers that survived, it’s a beauty for sure.


Here she is all propped up with her new stick and pipe cleaner along with a drink of water. It is now standing tall on the fireplace.


I believe it was Sophie the calico who is the vandal. I saw her walking by and eyeballing the plant, trying to figure out how to get to it. I first thought it was Pavel the white cat because he is quiet but ornery and was walking around it…..we call him Eddie Haskell…..for those of you who know Leave it to Beaver. These two are always wrestling……there are times when you just can’t have anything nice! Hope you have a great Saturday!


I write with a heavy heart today


If you are not an animal lover you may read this and think I am a silly, crazy cat woman. If you have never loved an animal and had them love you back, you are so missing out on the one of the joys of life. If you have loved an animal you will understand.  Today I had to take my third cat this year to the vet to be euthanized and it still doesn’t get any easier. The first two I knew it was coming eventually because they were getting up in the years. This one was a total surprise. He came to us at our previous home 7 years ago, ragged and thin and starving and begging for food. He had the prettiest face and big eyes and was tenacious by sticking around for a month. His personality was good and he made the cut to be part of the family. As we always said he wasn’t ready for prime time at all and had to be taught a lot. He didn’t know how to play, he snapped at us all the time and to be able to stay living with us I had to have him declawed because he became overly excited during play time and embedded both sets of front claws into Toms face. He was lucky he was cute. This picture was taken about a month ago when we figured out something was wrong. At this point he weighed 13 pounds down from almost 17 in July.


Here he is,on one of his favorite places to lay. The vet figured out that there was something wrong with his kidneys and he was having his kidneys flushed and they made everything work for a while but I could never get him to eat on his own again. I would give him food through a syringe. All this just gave us time to be with him. When I brought him home a month ago I am so glad I let him stay outside the first night. It was still warm and he loved it. He just sat and looked out and walked around the house with a lot of wobbling. He then jumped into his favorite chair to sleep and watch the house through the night. It always seemed like he was guarding the house, because he wouldn’t stay out during the day. If he would hear a noise during the day, he would walk around the house growling till everything was to his satisfaction. He was like our guard dog. I am sure he would be totally insulted by that insinuation. Sebastian was next in line to take over the reins from Stonewall, our cat that was euthanized in early October.  He and Stonewall had a love/hate relationship.  Sometimes the fur would just fly because one or the other did something only they knew.  Mealtime always had a brief altercation while waiting for their food.  Maybe Sebastian missed this because he wouldn’t come to meals quickly after Stonewall wasn’t around.


Stonewall is the yellow cat. He was 16 years old and was bossy. He kept everyone in line and thought he owned me. He would jump on Sebastian if I paid any attention to him. He would sleep on my pillow each night up until the last two weeks of his life. He usually didn’t let any other cat sleep on our bed except him. We knew he was slowing down when we would find another cat on the bed in the morning. He had kidney problems also but that isn’t unusual for a cat his age. I was gone for a week in September and my calls home would inform me that Stonewall was not coming out of the closet and he wasn’t eating much.  When I got back he was very excited and slept on my pillow for half the night.  He didn’t after that and it just went downhill after that.  Maybe the stress of my being gone accelerated the illness.


Smoke is the grey cat (make sense doesn’t it). He was euthanized in February and right here is my post about him. Sophie is everywhere, loves everybody and is happy all the time. Two other cats I have are Lily and Pavel. Pavel came last March right after Smoke was gone. He heard there was an opening and applied. Actually he came begging for food on a very cold day. He made the cut and is a member of our family. I hope that I do not have to write any of these for a long, long time. I believe that animals go to Heaven because God made them and they have so much unconditional love to give. Hopefully they are all meeting up and Stonewall is yelling and rolling around with Sebastian and Smoke will get a cheap shot in when they are done. They are missed!