Kitten Update

Andy took the grey and white kitten home to be with her big sister who is also grey and white. This kitten received the name of JJ and the big sisters name is Winter.

Nick took the little boy tiger back to college with him, he lives in a house and goes to Purdue. The kitten received the name of Pete. I understand that he is a constant traveling companion for Nick when he comes back home.

This is Miggy who was from Mama’s litter of kittens born the last week of April. He and Tom were reading the paper and it must have been boring news. He is just a long cat.

We tell him he has a milk mustache. Oh and Mama got all fixed up and there will be no more kittens. She is doing well.

This little boy will be going to my friend Joan along with his sister. She had some plans and couldn’t take them until Nov. 3rd. This one is happy and purrrrrs a lot.

This little girl has so many toes on her one foot, you can kind of see them on the bottom foot. She is a lap sitter and a hand licker. They love each other and she will have so much fun with them. 

Mama Mia!

Not too long ago I wrote about Mama kitty who brought her kittens to us in “Let Me Tell You About the Kittens.” Well she has gotten herself in a motherly way again. She had her other kittens the last week of April, and I was not quick enough to get her spayed and this is what happens. I was waiting for the nursing to stop. So right now she is in captivity in our sunroom. She wasn’t really keen on this since she is an outdoor cat, but she has resigned herself. We are in the waiting stage right now so we call it our maternity ward, soon to be nursery. Here she is, showing off her very large belly.

This is Miggy, one of her kittens looking in at her. We let him in and the first time, she recognized him, and her eyes lit up, and he got all hissy. Now she gets kind of hissy but he wants in.

Her life isn’t so bad even though she has to stay in the room. She gets fed, clean water, a nice bed, birds to watch, outside sounds, treats, a nice clean litter box and toys.

A nice profile of Mama. I am going to put her in the Community Cat program with us as the caregivers. She will get spayed and shots and we will have a nice outside shelter for her and also her other kitten whom you should read about in my other post. I am now able to pet him and put flea medicine etc. He needed some love since Mom is no where to be found.

When she is not pregnant she is a very thin, long cat. Here is her beautiful face. She has an Egyptian cat look to her. She is a polydactyl cat or has extra toes. 3 out of her 5 kittens had the same thing, they are really pretty neat.

Close up of Miggy. All the cats are sweet, and loving and purr their hearts out.

This is Willie, my niece Angie took the grey boy. As you can tell he is pretty laid back. I need to find good homes for the upcoming kittens. They will be litter box trained and I am sure as loving as can be. A co worker took a female grey and white which they named Winter and she like the others loves to curl up around the neck and purr. Mama Mia makes great kittens. Stay tuned for new kitten pictures. If you have room in your heart and home for a new 8 week old kitten please email me. 



Let me tell you about the kittens

This story starts way back at the end of January. The adult cat shown here )which we now call her Mama) would come and sit on the porch furniture. This furniture is outside my studio window. She would stare at me with hungry eyes every night. Of course I would feed her. Then it got to be I would see her in the morning and the evening.When I would take her food out she was very skittish and would always stop and look behind her like someone was after her. I would never make the attempt to pet her because she was just very wild but hungry. We went along like this through the month of February and half of March and I felt we were getting quite a rapport going. So about mid march I decided to bend down every time after I put the food down and touch her back. She seemed startled at first but didn’t run away.Eventually I made it a whole hand touch along her back. Then she started rubbing against my legs and I knew we were getting somewhere. Then April came and I noticed with the longer days that she was gaining weight. Her belly was getting larger but I didn’t think unusually big. Then one day I saw her go places like behind the house, down to the pond where she very rarely goes. I felt like maybe birthing time was coming soon.Back in February when it was really cold I would not see her for a couple of days or maybe even a week, I had no idea where she was holding up. So this time she was gone for a couple of days and when she showed back up again she was much thinner and had blood on her backside so I knew she had the kittens. I didn’t know if they were stillborn or how many. I would start feeding her more food though and she was eating it voraciously. She started showing up again in the morning and evenings but didn’t stick around, ate and ran. I would tell her “Mama, where are your babies or Mama, bring the babies here. She would just eat and run.

I would never see a sign of them, and she would go back in different directions. Then one day Tom was shutting the pool cover and one must have been hanging on and popped out but got scared and ran back under. There was a small open area by the motor and she had brought the kittens there. I think that was amazing because how would she even know that was there? Well the one kitten got caught on the rope and died, but when we opened it up I had 4 other faces looking up at me. She had had five kittens! She had to have moved then to that spot recently because Tom had power washed under that to get all the leaves out. This was not a safe place and we left the lid open for her to get them out.

She did and they were all gone the next day. We buried the kitten with sadness and waited to see if she would return. The next evening she did come back to eat and we were joyful for that. We felt so bad about the baby. A week went by and our routine was back but one morning I look out on the chair and I see her with lumps all over her. I knew then she had brought the babies back.

I took this picture of them that day. The fourth kitten was very scared and would always run away. I haven’t gotten a picture of that one yet.

She is a good mama and keeps a very close eye on them. Soon after she brought them they would start eating the food that I put down for her. Then she would take them somewhere for a couple of days and then bring them back. We didn’t know what was going through her head but we didn’t think they were far away, maybe in one of the neighbors bushes. The kittens are such a pleasure to watch play and run.

Here we are trying to get them used to humans. They are doing really well. I have the three I could catch in a crate because they were becoming more curious. I wanted them close and not be hit and they are doing well with it, Mama too. I think it is a relief for her.

Mama has extra toes, this is called polydactal and there is a 50% chance that the kittens will have it too, and they do.

This was taken while they were still running around. A box I had in case Mama wanted to bring them there. The kittens liked it.

They were peeking at me from behind the steps. I can’t stand that, it’s so cute!

So the first one got adopted today. My niece Angie and her husband and family took the all grey male and named him Willie. He fell asleep in Bryan’s arms here, I think he took to him. I also saw a picture that he was sleeping on the couch already. He went off in his own new little carrier too.


I have another one spoken for and that will leave two. I hope that Mama will get tired of nursing the kitten, right now the two of them are off in the neighbors bushes. I think she has Mama wrapped around her little paw. Maybe I will see her in the morning. 

Mama and I have come a long way, she sits on my lap, licks my hands, did a head bump on me too. That’s the ultimate. I truly feel blessed that she trusted us enough to bring the babies to us. It’s been a treat!!