The ten Amendments included in the Bill of Rights allow the following rights and freedoms to all Americans.
1. The First Amendment grants freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of assembly, and the right to protest.
2. The Second Amendment grants the right to bear arms
3. The Third Amendment states that soldiers cannot take over a home during war or peace without the homeowner’s permission.
4. The Fourth Amendment protects Americans from unreasonable and unlawful search and seizure of property.
5. The Fifth Amendment allows all citizens due process and states that a person cannot be forced to serve as a witness against himself when accused of a crime.
6. The Sixth Amendment provides a speedy and public trial by jury for all who are accused of a crime.
7. The Seventh Amendment also allows a trial by jury to be held for certain civil disputes.
8. The Eighth Amendment prevents those accused of suffering cruel and unusual punishment.
9. The Ninth Amendment states that no one’s Constitutional rights should be used to infringe upon the rights of another citizen.
10. The Tenth Amendment provides each state with powers that are not specifically assigned to the nation’s government in the Constitution.
And to End this Post an excerpt from a speech by Theodore Roosevelt.
THE MAN IN THE ARENA
Excerpt from the speech “Citizenship In A Republic”
delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910
download PDF of complete speech
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.